Prime Minister Narendra Modi who inaugurated the National War Memorial in Delhi took dedicated it to soldiers who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty.
Addressing the event, Modi took a dig at the Congress party for ignoring to recognize the brave efforts of the soldiers for decades.
The war memorial is located near the India Gate complex and pays homage to over 26,000 soldiers who have sacrificed their lives since 1947. It was promised by the National Democratic Alliance in its 2014 election manifesto.
Speaking at a ceremony, Modi said, “We are continuously working towards making the Army self-reliant, the decisions which were thought to be impossible earlier have now been made possible. Due to the sacrifice of many soldiers, we are among the strongest army in the world.”
The design of the memorial has a layout comprising four concentric circles, namely the “Amar Chakra” or Circle of Immortality, the “Veerta Chakra” or Circle of Bravery, the “Tyag Chakra” or Circle of Sacrifice and the “Rakshak Chakra” or Circle of Protection.
The memorial complex includes the central obelisk, an eternal flame and six bronze murals depicting the famous battles fought by the Indian Army, the Air Force and the Navy in a covered gallery.
The outermost circle, the Rakshak Chakra, comprises rows of more than 600 trees, representing the soldiers who guard the territorial integrity of the nation.
The busts of the 21 Param Vir Chakra awardees have been installed at the Param Yoddha Sthal and include those of three living awardees – Subedar Major Bana Singh (retd), Subedar Major Yogendra Singh Yadav and Subedar Sanjay Kumar.
The proposal for creating a National War Memorial was under consideration since the
Modi also hit out at the Congress, saying that from Bofors to choppers, all the investigations are “pointing to one family”. “Now these people are putting all the efforts to make sure that Rafale aircraft don’t arrive in the country,” he said.
Asking people whether they wanted “India first or family first”, the PM said the armed forces and national security suffered due to criminal negligence before the BJP came to power.
“Decisions which were pending for decades were cleared on priority to strengthen the armed forces. We had implemented the one rank one pension (OROP) scheme, due to which pensions of veterans were increased up to 40%,” Modi said.
Modi’s speech at #NationalWarMemorial event:
- Due to the sacrifice of many soldiers, we are among the strongest army in the world.
- Whether the problems have come due to enemies or nature, the soldiers have always been at the forefront to protect the country and answered as well.
- Would like to pay respect to every soldier who martyred in Pulwama.
- New India is now moving forward with new virtues, and it is because of your dedication.
- When Lata di had sung Mere Watan Ke Logon here, it made all of us emotional.
- The wait for the national war memorial is over and it is being dedicated to the nation at the right time.
- 35000 crore distributed through OROP. Pension budget is now over Rs. 1 lakh crore. Salaries of soldiers are up by 55%.
- We have made sure that you don’t have to run errands for getting pensions… the system will be made available online.
- Super specialty hospital was a long-pending demand… Glad to announce, we will be setting up three super specialty hospitals for you.
- Women are now fighter pilots. We are also ensuring that women get equal representation in armed forces.
- To make sure that every kid knows about the valour of soldiers, we launched an online platform for gallantry awards.
- We have initiated changes in defense purchase procedure.
- It’s a matter of pride for us that the biggest nations want to support us in our initiatives. This is the reason why our country is doing joint exercises with 10 biggest nations in a year. Piracy has vanished from the Indian ocean and it is because of the joint exercises of our country with other nations.
- 1,46,000 bulletproofs were demanded by the forces. Soldiers were facing enemies without these jackets. Between 2009 to 2014, these demands were never met. In the last five years, we have purchased more than 2,30,000 bulletproof jackets.
- The Opposition is trying too hard to ensure the Rafale deal fails…But soon India will get its first Rafale.
- Airports to awards all went to the same family. For some, the family is bigger than the nation.
- Modi is not important, India is above all. Not my name but it should be the stories of valour of the soldiers that should be remembered forever.
- Safety of the country, development of the country is so important than all obstacles on my way.
- Live for the country, die for the country, Live for the ‘tiranga’, die for the ‘tiranga’.